Located on the bustling junction of Shivaji Road and RB Kumthekar of Pune, Vishrambaug Wada tells the tale of Pune long lost in history books. Once a house to relax for Pune’s Peshwa royalty, the building is now primarily a collection of government offices, though conservation efforts are on to keep it’s history alive.
This magnificent mansion is a three storied building and is also known as the Teen Chowki Wada for the same. It was built by the last Peshwa, Bajirao II as his residence. The mansion is 260 feet long and 815 feet broad and is situated on the Thorale Bajirao Road.
The beautiful wada has an eye catching wooden facade and columns carved in Suru form. It was destructed by a sudden fire on October 31, 1880 but was somewhat restored to its original appearance by public subscriptions and municipal contributions. The mansion was initially a Poona Corporation Office until 1958. The Vishrambaug Wada now has a post office on its ground floor and a few other offices of the municipal corporation. It also has a small museum of Maratha artefacts gathered by a Maratha historian.